Monday, February 23, 2015

In which I talk to myself, 8 years ago...

How about a writing prompt from reddit. Tonights selection is here:
Your current self and your self from 8 years ago sit down to have a chat in a cafe.

Hello from the future! There's no time for conversation... I've only got a few minutes. I know that it's 2007, and you're about 2 months away from the birth of your first child. Its rough going right now, living in the house, worrying about responsibility and the impendingness of fatherhood. Don't worry. Here's a little spoiler-free advice from me to you.

First up, don't stress over being a dad... just roll with it. I mean, c'mon, he's your kid, you already know he'll be awesome. Just be there, take care of him, talk to him, and everything should be okay. Okay?

Enjoy Battlestar Galactica. I know, you've been curious, and you've seen a bit of an episode or two, but Jim and Jessica will get you hooked, so why not start now?

Remember that bad stuff will happen, just as good will. Stay calm, look for all sides, look for the right thing to do, and then don't sweat it after you've made a decision. You can only do the best you can with what you have, and if it leads to ruin, well, there's nothing you could do about it. Take your lumps, and keep moving forward.

Trust me, you'll need that last bit.

Okay, so that's it. Can't say too much more without major spoilers. Well, enjoy your coffee... don't worry, you'll be drinking it black in a few years.